As a School of Nursing student, your primary library is the UVA Health Sciences Library, which is located between McKim and Pinn Hall in the UVA Health System. The library licenses over 4,400 journal titles in the basic and clinical sciences and provides access to over 44,000 electronic and print books and 1,700 multimedia programs. The library’s large collection of databases includes OVID Medline, ScienceDirect, AccessMedicine, Web of Science, UpToDate, and ClinicalKey. All electronic resources can be accessed either on grounds or remotely.
A free interlibrary loan service is available to obtain any book or journal not licensed by the university. If you need assistance with the interlibrary loan process, please call the Health Sciences Library at 434-924-5444.
Dan Wilson is the librarian for the School of Nursing. Dan’s office is in the Health Sciences Library and he is available to help you navigate using library resources either at his office or by connecting virtually. Library resources:
- Home page for the Health Sciences Library
- Library resources for the SON
- Journal finder
- UVA Library
- Search Virgo
- Dan’s contact information:
Accessing UVA Library Content While Off Grounds
To access UVA library content off Grounds, you need to use the UVA Anywhere VPN.
What you need to know:
- VPN stands for "Virtual Private Network"
- This gives your computer direct access to the UVA network even when you aren't on-grounds!
- VPNs are a highly secure access point. Seeing all those ads lately for safeguarding your information online? VPNs help keep your information private even when you are accessing over public wi-fi (such as in your local coffee shop).
- UVA Library resources REQUIRE a VPN when you are not on-Grounds to securely access content from various publishers and platforms that we have paid for.
- You can download the UVA Anywhere VPN for free. This is an awesome resource to not only access Library content, but also to keep your information secure!
- The UVA Anywhere VPN can be downloaded to your computer and phone. Follow the instructions depending on your computer type.
More information about off-Grounds access is available on the UVA Library website.