Below are resources for low and no-cost internet options to assist with connectivity challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic response.
Free Wi-Fi hotspots in Charlottesville and Albemarle:
- FREE Ting hotspot located at IX Park: free to the public, Ting has set-up a “Park and Wi-Fi” at IX Park. Please remain in your car while accessing the service. Wi-Fi will be available between 7 am and 8 pm seven days a week.
- WiFi access from Jefferson-Madison Regional Library (JMRL) and Albemarle County Public Schools (ACPS): view locations via Albemarle County's interactive map
- JMRL added Wi-Fi access points at the Northside branch to provide better coverage in the back parking lot. The other branches include Wi-Fi access as well.
- ACPS parking areas also have expanded WiFi. Details from the ACPS CTO:
All school division Internet Wi-Fi access has been extended to school parking lots. The areas closest to a school’s main entrance or classroom windows should have the strongest signal strength. Personal devices can connect to the “ACPS-Public” network and school-issued laptops will be able to connect to the “ACPS” network.
Assistance for UVA students:
- From UVA FAQ website: The Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs (VPSA) and Student Financial Services (SFS) have developed a streamlined process to evaluate applications and distribute funds to eligible students as expeditiously as possible. All current undergraduate, graduate and professional students can request funding for expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to the pandemic including, but not necessarily limited to, travel, technology, food, medication and other living expenses. The application for emergency funding related to COVID-19 is available here: https://virginia.academicworks.com/opportunities/9386
- Note: This assistance is available to students who (1) have not previously received a free laptop from the University as part of the Laptops for Students Program or (2) have not used the One-Time Computer Expense option. This financial support cannot be used to upgrade existing computing equipment.
Some private companies also are offering internet access for various locations with reduced pricing options:
- Comcast: Internet Essentials: Affordable Internet at Home for Eligible Households
- Low income families can apply for two free months of internet service from Comcast. Those without internet connection can call 855-846-8376 (English) or call 855-765-6995 (Spanish).
- Verizon: Lifeline Government Assistance Program
- EveryoneOn: Search Tool for Low-Cost Internet Service Offers